FREE SHIPPING ON ALL ORDERS OVER $150 WITHIN NORTH AMERICA
Benefits of glycerin in topical skincare products
December 20 2022·
December 20 2022·
Glycerin one of the spotlight ingredients found in RESTORE+, and has multiple benefits for the skin that we love for many reasons.
Glycerin is a water-soluble ingredient and is categorized as a humectant. A humectant works to preserve moisture by assisting in loosening dead skin cells and drawing moisture from deeper layers of the skin, which in return keeps the skin barrier intact.
Glycerin can be obtained from animal and plant sources (our glycerin is plant-based, sourced from organic flax seeds).
Glycerin can be compared to the effects of the trending ingredient "snail mucin" (as they are both humectants) however, glycerin is much more researched for supporting skin hydration, skin elasticity, and epidermal barrier repair - leaving us without the need to apply "snail excretion".
Suitable for all skin types, glycerin:
- Improves hydration to the outermost layer of the skin called the stratum corneum, which also is the final stage for keratinocytes to mature and develop.
- Improves skin barrier.
- Improves the skin’s mechanical properties. (wrinkling & sagging)
- Accelerates wound healing.
- Inhibits the lipid phase transition of the stratum corneum. This lipid barrier of the skin consists of a brick-and-mortar concept. Corneocytes are flattened disc-like keratin network-filled cells lacking all cytoplasmic organelles and play the role of the ‘bricks’. A multi-layer structure of specialized lipids forms the ‘mortar’. This wall provides the main barrier against water loss and against the invasion of external chemicals and pathogens.
- Enhances desmosomal degradation, in which desmosomes mediate direct cell-to-cell contacts and provide anchorage sites for intermediate filaments important for tissue integrity.
- Has antimicrobial properties.
- Improves impaired epidermal barrier function that occurs from eczema.
- Topical support for skin conditions aggravated by dry and cold environmental conditions, such as psoriasis.
- Replicates natural moisture factor (NMF) function.
It is important to choose topical support products that play a therapeutic role for any inflammatory skin conditions and to help heal any skin barrier damage while also reducing inflammation.
RESTORE+ is beneficial for soothing eczema flare-ups, psoriasis patches, and soothing dry skin with the support of glycerin that penetrates deeper layers of stratum corneum to restore water content and barrier and replicate NMF function.